Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Blunders and Blessings (by Nancy Allen)


Blunders and Blessings

It’s about a five hour drive from Nashville to Cincinnati, Ohio and we wanted to stop in Louisville, Kentucky to see a friend. By leaving at 8:30 a.m. which is 9:30 eastern time we could stop for a quick lunch and be at our friends house by l:30 p.m. At least that was the plan.
            We had driven almost twenty miles when I decided to get something out of our overnight bag.
            “Did you put the bag in the trunk,” I asked.
            “No, I thought you got the bag. You didn’t get the bag? You had me get books and I had them in my hands.”
            “We have to go back,” I said. “Our meds are in the bag.” We could buy other stuff, but we have to have our meds.”
            “Crap,” he said as we circled the loop and headed back home.
            He ran up the stairs, grabbed the apples from the fruit bowl, the bag and hurried back to the car.
            “We’ll be fine,” I said. “We can skip lunch and still make it.” And sure enough with driving over the speed limit and eating our apples we arrived only a few minutes late. It was a fun short visit because our friend had to pick up his grandson from school. That was fine. We needed to be on our way to Cincinnati.
            “We’re going to get caught in the afternoon traffic,” I said.
            “It’s o.k. We’re not on a schedule,” he said. “We know where we’re going. We stay at the same place every six months.”
            The clouds were mounting, getting darker by the minute.
            “I hope the tornados I heard about on the news are not heading this way,” I said.
            The wind blew and rain came down—so hard we would have had to stop had we not been stopped already in the traffic. But then the most beautiful thing happened. Double rainbows arched across the sky ahead of us as if to promise a safe passage. The colors were sharp and wide and the glow shimmered into the trees on the horizon.
            “I wonder if our hotel will have me as the ‘guest of the day,’ I said.
            “I wouldn’t think so. You have already had that honor twice,” he said.
            When we arrived at our hotel my name wasn’t on the marquee as it had been in the past.  That special person gets an upfront parking place and other little amenities such as cookies, etc. I kidded the desk clerk wondering why I wasn’t the special person this time and she said “I’m sorry, but I will make sure you get free breakfast in the morning.” That was really nice and I went to my room feeling special anyway even if my name wasn’t up in lights.
            The next morning while he was in a meeting, I watched the Royal Wedding. That was a blessing because we could have been on the road. However, I guess it wouldn’t have mattered because I did get to see it later over and over again. He was out of his meeting about the time the wedding was over and we headed home.
            “Do you smell rubber?” he asked. “This car is pulling to the left. I have to take it in for an alignment when we get home.”
            “I do smell rubber, you should get over in the right lane just in case,” I said.
            We drove another seventy-five miles, forgot about smelling rubber and staying in the right lane when all of a sudden the wheel began to whop and it was hard to control the steering. He managed to cross traffic and finally bring the car to a halt on the right shoulder. The tire was shredded. Lucky we had a spare. But with traffic coming toward us at eighty miles an hour and limited room for changing a tire it appeared to me he was in extreme danger. I walked up the side of the interstate and began motioning traffic to move over. Can you believe it?—most of them did. One of them even pulled off in front of us to help. Then out of no where the emergency truck came to guard our backside. We were on the road in no time, arriving home safe and sound.  Once again our blunder was turned into a blessing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment